3 Helpful Tips for Avoiding a Dryer Fire
Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry.
Avoid a Dryer Fire
Though you and your family probably take the time to exchange chore duties in your Vineyards, FL, home, some cleaning tasks inevitably fall by the wayside. One of these tasks includes keeping your dryer maintained and well-kempt, preventing a potential dryer fire in the process. Here are three helpful tips for avoiding a fire through your home’s dryer, whether it be due to a lint fire, an electrical issue or something more hazardous.
1. Be sure to clean the lint filter before and after every load of laundry. While cleaning out lint from the trap can easily be overlooked, creating a schedule to regularly follow can quickly make the task become a common habit in your family. This prevents considerable lint and dust build-up from forming near the heating element, eliminating a possible dryer fire hazard with every use thereafter.
2. Make it a priority to snake out your air exhaust vent pipe. A lint fire can erupt just as easily through the exhaust pipe as the filter since air flow can become restricted in the ventilation path due to build-up over time. Not only should professional inspections be conducted on a consistent basis but the outside vent ducting should be unblocked from time to time, as well.
3. Frequently inspect for and remove any dust collection behind the dryer, and ensure that flammable items aren’t resting too close to the heating element. Excess dust, lint and dirt can collect on the electrical wiring and tubing behind your dryer, so using a duster or vacuum to remove build-up is crucial to keeping the machine working properly and safely. Furthermore, be wary of storing any flammable objects or chemicals near the heating element.
While perfectly maintaining your Vineyards, FL, home at all times can be impossible due to everyone’s busy schedules, making dryer maintenance a priority is vital to preventing a potential lint fire in your residence.
What's the Best Way to Prevent Mold Growth
No one wants to find mold in their home.
What Is the Most Effective Way to Prevent Mold Growth?
No one wants to find mold in their home in Golden Gate, FL. As a homeowner yourself, you may scour the internet for the best mold prevention tips available. To prevent mold, you need to understand why it grows. Mold needs the following elements to thrive:
- Organic Matter
A lot of these elements are found organically in nature, so it may be hard to remove them from your home to discourage mold growth. However, you can control the moisture levels in your house.
Inspect Plumbing Fixtures
A regular inspection of toilets, dishwashers, pipes and other sources of water can help you better understand where excess water could be. When you are familiar with the state of your plumbing, you will be able to catch leaks and other issues quickly. This can help stop water damage from taking place.
Respond to Water Problems Quickly
Whether your bathroom gets really steamy during showers or you noticed a small drip in your living room ceiling, you need to react to water problems as quickly as possible if you want to be successful with mold prevention. Having a strong relationship with a trusted plumber can help you better respond to plumbing problems that could lead to fungus growth. Mold can start to grow in as little as 24 to 48 hours after excess water is first introduced to your house. This means your quick response plays a big role in your ability to stave off the growth.
Have a Plan
While it's not exactly part of a prevention plan, you need to know who you are going to call should you find mold in your home. The faster you get a mold remediation team into your house the sooner your living space will be free of the unwanted growth. Knowing what you would do in an emergency water or mold situation can make handling the problem easier.
A big part of mold prevention is stopping water from pooling up in your home. However, you have to remember that prevention isn't always possible, so it may be necessary to deal with mold.
The Three Seasons of Maintenance for Landscape Sprinklers
Broken irrigation system in East Naples, FL.
The Three Seasons Of Routine Irrigation Maintenance
Irrigation systems save you time while taking care of the landscape that makes your building in East Naples, FL, an inviting place to do business. Seasonal maintenance on your sprinklers can prevent unwelcome surprises, like flooding and property damage.
1. Winterize Your System
The best way to prevent sprinkler flooding is to properly prepare for the winter. The process is referred to as a “blow out” and is done at a reasonable price by professionals, costing about $50 - $100. A high-capacity compressor is hooked up to your system to blow out all the water. You should also make sure to shut off the main water supply valve, leaving all drain valves in the system open.
2. Spring Into Action
The spring irrigation maintenance has more steps than other seasons, but it is not as complicated as it sounds. First, close all drains. These include a handle at the split in your pipes near the main water supply to the house, screwdriver adjustable test-cock valves at the back-flow preventer, and hand-turned cross-shaped drain valves in the control box. Next, close the outdoor valves that lie before and after the back-flow preventer. Turn on the main water supply then reopen those valves by the back-flow preventer. When all valves are open, test each zone and check that sprinkler heads are operating. After several minutes, check all valves and drains for leaks.
3. Observe Summer
Inspect your system for even coverage, flooded areas, and broken sprinkler heads. Check for these problems periodically in the summer to ensure you don’t delay business one day with an early morning flood due to an inexpensive part failure that could have been fixed if noticed sooner.
If damaged sprinklers teach you irrigation maintenance lessons the hard way, just know you don’t have to handle water damage alone. You can count on knowledgeable and experienced specialists to be your one resource for damage recovery, from cleanup to restoration.
4 Ways to Limit to Storm Damage
Cover your windows with boards or shutters.
There are several ways to limit the amount of damage a storm can do to your home at every stage. The first two tips assume that a storm is not imminent. The last two tips are for when a severe system is heading your way and has passed over. Taken together, these four storm tips can help you prevent and mitigate storm damage.
1. Trim Trees
The most important damage prevention tip is to trim trees. Precipitation adds extra weight and high winds can tear off heavy branches. Prune overhanging or dead branches on a regular basis.
2. Clear the Drainage System
Downspouts and gutters should collect water from your roof and carry it down and away from the foundation of your home. If the drainage system is blocked, water may collect and work its way under shingles to cause leaks. Water pouring straight down may lead to a flooded basement.
3. Protect Windows With Boards or Shutters
The best storm tip for when a severe storm is on the way is to cover windows with boards or shutters. If you live in a region with frequent storms, invest in storm shutters.
4. Cover Roof Leaks or Broken Windows
If a storm damages your home, take steps toward mitigation while you wait for roofers or restoration experts to arrive. Cover roof leaks with boards or tarps after the storm passes over. Make sure that water will not work its way under the covering. If you did not board up or shutter windows and they get broken, you can use the same materials to keep debris out of your home.
These four storm tips are intended to help you plan ahead for a storm and take measures to mitigate any damage that occurs. If your home in Golden Gate, FL has sustained storm damage, schedule a consultation with a damage restoration service.
What To Know About Mold Prevention and Remediation
Mold damage remediation in Vineyards, FL.
For many people in Vineyards, FL, finding mold in their homes can be a scary moment, especially if it may be black mold. Here are a few things you may want to know about mold and mold remediation.
There are a few common tips that are given to homeowners to help prevent the growth of mold:
• Take care of leaks and puddling water as soon as they occur
• Dry wet materials as thoroughly as possible to prevent mold growth
• Regularly clean and disinfect areas that experience moisture, such as bathrooms
• Use the exhaust fan in your kitchen or bathroom to remove moisture from the air
• Use a dehumidifier in humid areas to help control moisture in the air
The Problem with Mold
Contrary to popular opinion, mold, even black mold, is not inherently bad. Many molds play a natural part in the decomposition process, and some have even been used in medical science. However, when mold gets into the home, it can cause damage to the property and leave a musty odor. If mold is found, you may want to begin the cleanup process as quickly as possible. The growth of mold in the home may also indicate issues with water damage that should also be quickly addressed.
Possible Mold Remediation Techniques
If your home develops a mold problem, then remediation may become necessary. If this happens, you may want to call a mold professional for help with the mold cleanup process. They can help with any mold contamination, and they should also know how to properly clean, tear out and replace affected areas, if necessary.
When you live in Vineyards, FL, knowing what to do to prevent black mold can be an important part of caring for your home. Understanding that mold is a fungus that tends to grow in damp, warm areas can help you know where to look for it. Knowing that controlling moisture can help prevent its growth can also help you take preventive measures. If you believe you have mold growth in your home, calling a professional may be a good option.
Slow Leaks in Your East Naples Home or Business Call for Skilled Mold Remediation
If mold damage strikes your business, you’ll need a team to help you. Contact SERVPRO 24/7 for professional remediation and mitigation services.
SERVPRO Not Only Addresses the Cause of Leaks in Your East Naples Home, But We Also Take Care of Commercial Mold Remediation
The truth is that many Naples business owners may not realize they have a mold problem until it is relatively advanced. Contrary to what many people might think, mold is everywhere, and we encounter spores throughout our daily lives. However, once it starts to colonize and spread, black mold can become a significant issue. Due to the potential health effects that mold can cause, you must have your business cleaned by mold specialists to get it under control. Failing to do so could be harmful to your employees, vendors, clients, and building materials. SERVPRO is available to handle all of your mold clean up needs, ensuring that your business gets left with the Certified: SERVPRO Clean stamp of approval.
Did you know that having a slow drip from piping or a leak from machinery that goes undetected can cause significant water damage? When moisture like this gets left to fester, it spikes the need for commercial mold remediation in Naples to get your business back on track. SERVPRO technicians will:
- Check for dampness or mold development on office carpets and padding.
- Inspect flooring, subfloors, and walls to see if moisture and mildew are becoming an issue.
- Monitor the temperature and air throughout your building and then work to restore relative humidity (RH).
- Initiate mold remediation protocols to include careful cleaning, deodorization, and sanitization. We use EPA-registered cleaning agents and antimicrobials.
- Follow through with black mold damage repairs to restore your business to pre-mold event condition.
Mold inspections, remediations, and removal services are better with SERVPRO of East Naples. Contact us today at the office by calling (302) 992-0104, and we can send our Green Fleet out as soon as possible.
Naples Residents Benefit from Skilled Flood and Stormwater Removal
You can rely upon the professionals of SERVPRO completely during a flooding disaster cleanup.
Detailed Flood and Stormwater Removal is Available from SERVPRO in Naples When You Need It Most!
Flooding after a storm comes in all shapes and sizes, with many variables at play. Whether you have groundwater coming into your front room or you have flooding in more than one area of your Naples home, you need to address it fast before secondary damage sets in. Because flood restoration involves handling contaminated water, you want to have trained technicians on the job to ensure the project gets done right the first time. SERVPRO takes great pride in being available for Naples area residents so that you can feel confident your home gets restored to pre-flood condition. Once we get done, no traces of the stormwater and flooding will be present, just “Like it never even happened.”
Depending on the storm, you may require a multi-faceted approach to your flood and stormwater removal in Naples. SERVPRO arrives with an alternative power source to run whatever equipment is necessary to facilitate water removal services if your power gets knocked out. Due to the nature of floodwater, caution gets taken to keep contaminants from spreading. We will:
- Put containment barriers in place to keep contamination from getting tracked into unaffected zones of your interior.
- Follow the migration path to ensure no hidden moisture gets trapped under flooring, behind walls, or underneath baseboards.
- Get to work as soon as possible to pull up standing water, including any debris, with the help of powerful pumps and industrial-grade tools.
- Test materials for colorfastness during the cleanup project to keep further damage from unfolding.
Flood restoration and water damage remediation are never a time to try a DIY project. Instead, trust our skilled crew at SERVPRO of East Naples to handle everything for you. Call us 24/7 at (239) 352-8300.
Does Your East Naples Home Have HVAC Water Damage?
When you need help after your HVAC system left your home with damages, call the experts at SERVPRO right away at (239) 352-8300.
SERVPRO Mitigates Water Damage from HVAC Incidents for East Naples Area Residents, Fast!
Rather than dealing with immense, costly damage to your Naples interior from an HVAC issue, you can call in professional technicians to handle the project. SERVPRO knows the problems that could arise with residential and commercial HVAC systems and how the slightest issue can turn into the need for water clean up. Our licensed technicians are trained and ready to go whenever you notice a problem developing, and We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!
When you have water damage in Naples from your HVAC system, we can come out and take a look and formulate a course of action. There may be some areas of your interior that have taken on the damage that calls for controlled demolition to replace certain materials fully. Some of the ways that we may tackle your project includes:
- Water removal services to address any standing water. We do so with the help of truck-mounted extractors, submersible pumps, carpet wands, and other helpful tools.
- Strategic drying with the help of industrial fans and dehumidifiers. Our technicians can restore the relative humidity (RH) levels throughout your home to inhibit the onset of secondary damage and mold growth.
- Application of EPA-registered cleaning agents, antimicrobials, and sanitizers to keep foul odors from becoming a reminder of the event that took place. Some of the tools that we may use to address foul, musty odors include injection systems and thermal fogging.
Should you suspect an issue with your HVAC system or you notice excess moisture build-up or a leak, you should never wait to address it. There could be hidden damage that becomes more costly the longer that you delay. SERVPRO of East Naples is available whenever you need us to tackle water damage remediation with a simple phone call to (239) 352-8300!
Hire Skilled Techs to Tackle Water and Odor Removal After an East Naples Storm
Storm water can cause a wide variety of damages in your home. Call in the professionals at SERVPRO for help.
SERVPRO Knows Best Practices for Storm Water Removal – Trust Us to Restore Your East Naples Home!
When you have standing water after a storm in Naples, you need to ensure it all gets removed as soon as possible. Leaving even the smallest amount of moisture behind puts your interior at risk for costly damage that festers, leading to mold and mildew growth. Rather than putting it up to chance with DIY methods, the SERVPRO crew is available for water damage remediation to get you back to life as you know it.
SERVPRO always ensures a safe environment for your household and our team when we get called for storm water removal in Naples. Our water restoration technicians (WRT) always wear personal protective equipment (PPE), and we set up containment barriers to keep contaminants and floodwater from migrating.
What About Odor Control?
During flood water restoration projects, odor control becomes a vital piece of the puzzle. Hidden moisture and contaminants in floodwater can lead to foul, musty odors. We have a vast selection of tools and products at our disposal so that we generate incredible results for your water damage restoration project, including:
- HEPA filtration units and absorption agents, including activated charcoal to help pull up odor-causing molecules
- Masking agents, including time-release deodorizing beads
- ULV foggers and pairing agents that work to combine with odorous particles in the air
- Sanitizers and disinfectants with a dual purpose – this includes stopping fungi and bacteria while also neutralizing odors
- Ozone generators that work by chemically pairing with odor particles to penetrate materials or furnishings
There are no emergency services water damage projects that SERVPRO of East Naples cannot handle. Call us at (239) 352-8300 when you require storm water removal!
Understanding the Fire Damage Restoration Process When You Need Help in Golden Gate
SERVPRO Helps Golden Gate residents after a fire strikes. We are here to help with cleanup and restoration.
SERVPRO Helps Golden Gate Residents Face the Fallout After a Blaze with Rapid Fire Damage Assistance
House fire clean up is overwhelming for any homeowner, which is why hiring the pros to handle everything for you is the best way to go. Here at SERVPRO, we work with many customers within the Naples area to ensure they get their homes back to normal. This is why we are the trusted name for fire and smoke damage restoration and cleanup. Because We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster, you can count on us to be at your Golden Gate property and ready to work within hours of your call.
Handling fire damage in Golden Gate means paying close attention to every single aspect of the job. We take the time to assess fire damaged homes carefully so that we can formulate best practices for handling:
- Charred belongings and structural debris
- Moisture left from first responders extinguishing the blaze
- Indoor air quality (IAQ)
- Various types of soot and smoke residue throughout your home
- Controlled demolition, as needed
Before we arrive on the scene, there are several things that we want our customers to know so that they have an idea of the way water & fire damage restorations work:
- Prepare for what you can expect. There may be widespread damage, including expected areas of your home.
- Always wait to enter. First responders on the scene will tell you when it is safe to go inside.
- Contact your insurance company. The earlier you let your insurance provider know of the fire event, the better. Our team is available to ensure your documentation gets filled out correctly as everything moves along.
SERVPRO of East Naples is the team you want in your corner to handle fire damage in your Golden Gate property. Call us 24/7 at (239) 352-8300.