Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After Fire Damage
If you experience fire damage, even during the winter holiday season, our team is available 24/7 for emergency restoration services.
The potential fire risks is higher during the winter holidays because of Christmas decorations and lots more cooking in the kitchen. Grease fires and house fires always happen unexpectedly, but our team at SERVPRO of East Naples is ready to help. We have the knowledge, expertise and professional staff to restore your home or business after fire damage.
While you wait for our emergency service team to arrive, read below for a few tips to get you started on the cleaning process.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 352-8300
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.